July 12, 2018
Equinix Collaboration with Amazon Web Services Expands in Latin America
Miami and São Paulo Added to 22 Existing Metros Featuring AWS Direct Connect Locations at Equinix
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and SAO PAULO, July 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced an expanded collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to offer private connectivity to AWS Direct Connect at Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in the São Paulo and Miami metros. This expansion, along with AWS Direct Connect's existing deployment at Equinix in Rio de Janeiro, builds upon the collaboration between Equinix and AWS in Latin America, helping customers more easily connect their IT infrastructure directly to AWS's cloud services.
Equinix customers in the São Paulo and Miami metros can directly access AWS Direct Connect via cross connect, which is also available in Equinix data centers in 22 other markets globally. Connecting directly to a private cloud onramp via an edge node is the most effective means to ensure performance, reliability and optimal cost efficiency. Effective immediately, customers can also connect to AWS Direct Connect via Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™), which provides simple, on-demand interconnection to AWS Direct Connect. With ECX Fabric, Equinix customers can discover and dynamically connect to any other customer across any Equinix location globally through an easy-to-use portal and a single connection to the Equinix platform.
- Equinix has more AWS Direct Connect onramps than any other data center provider. With the addition of São Paulo and Miami, AWS Direct Connect is available to customers in Equinix IBX data centers across 24 strategic markets including Amsterdam, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Los Angeles, London, Madrid, Manchester, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Warsaw and Washington, D.C.
- The ability to directly connect to cloud service providers, such as AWS, is becoming increasingly important for enterprise CIOs in the Latin American region as digital transformation fuels the need for virtualized, on-demand, provider-based services.
- Within the São Paulo metro, the Equinix IBX data centers serve as a main financial, corporate and mercantile hub for enterprises in Brazil and throughout South America. Currently, customers in the São Paulo metro and Rio de Janeiro metro are able to connect to AWS Direct Connect via cross connect, while São Paulo customers will now be able to connect to AWS Direct Connect via cross connect and via ECX Fabric.
- Equinix IBX data centers within the Miami metro, including the NAP of the Americas ("NOTA") (MI1) facility, serve as major communications gateways for companies in Latin America, the Caribbean and the Southeastern U.S. The Equinix Miami ecosystem provides customers with direct connectivity to a variety of network and cloud service providers, CDNs and enterprises.
- ECX Fabric directly, securely and dynamically connects distributed infrastructure and digital ecosystems on Platform Equinix® via global, software-defined interconnection. Available across 30+ locations, ECX Fabric is designed for scalability, agility and connectivity over a self-service portal or API. Through a single port, customers can discover and reach anyone at Equinix on demand, locally or across metros.
- To support real-time or mission-critical workloads, Equinix customers can use ECX Fabric to easily connect to an AWS Direct Connect location in the same metro where the customer's infrastructure is located. For other workloads like data backup, Equinix customers can use ECX Fabric to easily connect to an AWS Direct Connect location in a different metro from where the customer's infrastructure is located.
- Direct and private connectivity to strategic cloud service providers like AWS is essential as digital transformation fuels higher demand for localized digital services at the edge. According to the Global Interconnection Index, a market study published recently by Equinix, the capacity for private data exchange between enterprises and cloud providers is forecast to grow six times faster than public internet traffic between 2017 and 2020.
- Eduardo Carvalho, President of Equinix Brazil
"With AWS Direct Connect now available via ECX Fabric in Brazil, there is no doubt we will be able to drive new business opportunities for our customers by offering them direct, high-performance, and low-latency connections to multiple cloud providers to help them benefit from a hybrid cloud architecture. With data centers strategically located throughout Latin America, Equinix allows enterprises in our region to rapidly scale in a digital environment by providing physical security along with the benefits of digital security. We also help our customers interconnect directly with strategic business partners outside the public internet."
- Kaushik Joshi, Global Managing Director, Strategic Alliances at Equinix
"Miami has played a critical role in interconnecting digital businesses in the North American, Latin American and Caribbean regions for the past three decades. São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are among the largest markets for digital businesses in Latin America. By making available private access to AWS in Miami, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, we offer unparalleled, secure, low-latency and consistent performance to AWS services across Latin American and the Caribbean region."
- More about Equinix and AWS [website]
- Equinix Collaboration with AWS Expands to Additional Markets [press release]
- Equinix Achieves APN Advanced Technology Partner Status with AWS [press release]
- The Global Interconnection Index [market study]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. In 52 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contact (Global), David Fonkalsrud, +1 (650) 598-6240, firstname.lastname@example.org, OR Equinix Media Contact (Brazil), Ilana Trinkenreich, +55 21-3083-3309, email@example.com, OR Investor Relations Contacts, Katrina Rymill, +1 650-598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org, OR Chip Newcom, +1 650-598-6262, email@example.com