July 12, 2017
Equinix Invests US$42 Million in SY4 IBX Data Centre Expansion
SYDNEY, July 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data centre company, has announced plans to invest US$42 million to expand its SY4 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centre to meet the rising demand for additional capacity and interconnection services.
An indicator of Equinix's continuous investment into the market, the phase two expansion will host an additional 1,500 cabinets, bringing the total capacity to 3,000, with a total usable floor space of more than 12,500 square metres (130,000 square feet).
The expansion is scheduled for completion by the end of 2017.
- Opened in August 2016, SY4 is strategically located in Alexandria, four kilometres from Sydney's central business district. The expansion will increase its current capacity of 1,500 cabinets to a total capacity of 3,000 cabinets.
- With an investment of US$42 million, phase two of the SY4 expansion is the latest in a series of expansions across Asia-Pacific, with other recent expansions in Melbourne, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- In a recent Equinix survey of 1,000 global IT decision makers, it was found that Australia is one of the leading countries pursuing interconnection. This drive towards greater interconnection makes a significant bottom-line impact on businesses and markets, as 40 percent of interconnected Australian companies have realised more than US$10 million (AUD 14 million) in revenue opportunities and cost savings.
- Some 86 percent of enterprises use the cloud and, with key cloud players like Amazon, Google and Microsoft, Australia is already the largest Infrastructure-as-a-Service market in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The expansion ensures there is capacity available to new and existing Equinix customers for interconnection. As Australia's most interconnected data centre campus, Equinix's Sydney campus (SY1, SY2, SY3 and SY4), together with its Melbourne facility (ME1), allows its customers to access its unrivalled business and cloud ecosystems.
- Across Equinix's Australia data centres, there are over 725 companies, including over 155 Network Service Providers (NSPs) and more than 275 Cloud Service Providers (CSPs), providing customers with the most interconnected group of data centres in Australia.
- Equinix's Sydney campus is the only place where companies can set up direct links to the continent's two largest Internet peering points, in addition to key submarine cable systems, including the Southern Cross Cable Head, the PIPE Pacific Cable, and the soon to be launched Hawaiki cable which will terminate in SY4.
- Equinix has dark fibre connectivity between its four data centres in the Sydney campus. This seamless campus environment enables rapid connectivity between all sites.
- In total, Equinix has 29 IBX data centres in Asia-Pacific. Today Equinix's total global footprint covers 179 IBX data centers across 44 markets.
- Jeremy Deutsch, managing director, Equinix Australia
"An interconnection-first strategy for IT is now central to realising digital transformation, and Australia is fast becoming an interconnection hot spot. Equinix has the capability to provide organisations with direct, private access to the leading cloud providers, as well as many specific cloud services, offering organisations the perfect environment to embrace hybrid cloud architecture. Today, we are already supporting more than 100 local and multinational companies in SY4. Our investment in SY4 demonstrates our ongoing commitment to providing the most robust architecture and interconnection options that allow customers to accelerate business relationships and speed to market."
- Foad Fadaghi, managing director, Telsyte
"With more enterprises and managed service providers moving to the cloud, including for security and data protection, additional data centre capacity in Australia is growing in demand. There is also an increased desire among CIOs to leverage a highly interconnected IT architecture, and providers that have location and interconnectivity advantages are best suited to deliver value to clients."
- Remi Galasso, chief executive officer, Hawaiki
"As we see the demand for connectivity between the United States and Australia and New Zealand increases, we've chosen SY4 as our point of presence from which our customers can access the bandwidth available on Hawaiki. From inside Equinix, we have a significant opportunity to grow, leveraging the dense connectivity opportunities to other networks, content providers and IPs. With the expansion of SY4, this is only set to open more doors for us in the future."
- 4 Things You Need to Know About Equinix in Australia [blog]
- Equinix Australia Data Centres [website]
- Equinix Sydney Campus [video]
- Equinix Opens New Data Centre in Sydney [press release]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centres. In 44 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realise new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.au.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
(Asia-Pacific), Annie Ho, Equinix, (852) 2970 7761, email@example.com; or (Australia), Bianca Georgiou, Howorth, (61) 2 8281 3833, firstname.lastname@example.org