March 2, 2017
Equinix Acquires 34 Acres of Land in Ashburn for Interconnection Data Center Expansion
Four Parcels of Undeveloped Land Enables Equinix to Increase Its Footprint at the Largest Internet Peering Point in North America
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 2, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced it has purchased four parcels of land spanning 34.5 acres in Loudon County, Virginia, proximate to Equinix's current Ashburn data center campus. The acquisition of this property will provide Equinix with room to build multiple new greenfield International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in this densely interconnected location.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The four parcels, purchased for $34.5 million, are proximate to the main Equinix campus in Ashburn, at the corner of Waxpool Road and Loudoun County Parkway.
- Equinix's 10 IBX data centers in the Washington, D.C. metro area cover more than 500,000 square feet and serve 850+ customers, representing the largest Internet exchange point in North America and one of the largest in the world.
- The Equinix facilities house rich ecosystems that allow network and content providers, cloud and IT services providers, and enterprise and government customers to quickly and efficiently exchange critical data with their customers and partners as they interconnect at the digital edge.
- In October 2015, Equinix announced the groundbreaking of its North Ashburn campus, located in close proximity to its existing data center campus in the area. Upon completion, this expansion will encompass five new facilities with more than one million square feet of new space.
- The acquisition of the Ashburn property is a continuation of Equinix's strategy to purchase land and buildings to increase ownership of Equinix assets. Over the last four quarters, Equinix has purchased land to expand key campuses in Ashburn, Silicon Valley and Chicago, and it has purchased Equinix IBX buildings in Amsterdam, Paris and Rio de Janeiro.
- Karl Strohmeyer, President, Americas, Equinix:
"The increasing pace of the shift to digital is having a significant impact on global businesses, pushing their IT operations closer to the digital edge where their customers, partners and employees are located. The acquisition of this property will enable Equinix to accommodate the growing number of global companies that are solving the digital edge through interconnection with the robust ecosystem of strategic business partners located at Equinix's Ashburn campus."
- Kelly Morgan, Research Vice President, Services, 451 Research:
"Northern Virginia is the largest multi-tenant datacenter (MTDC) market in the U.S. by operational square feet and will continue to grow rapidly, as several new facilities are expected to come online in the next one to two years. The market has seen consistently strong demand, enabling providers like Equinix to fill large builds quickly. Northern Virginia not only attracts datacenter tenants from all over the globe interested in connectivity, but providers there serve government agencies and local businesses."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 41 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
Media, David Fonkalsrud, +1 (650) 598-6240, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Michelle Lindeman, +1 (650) 598-6361, email@example.com; or Investor Relations, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, email@example.com