September 8, 2016
Equinix Introduces the Media Cloud Ecosystem for the Entertainment Industry
Through an Interconnection Oriented Architecture, media and entertainment companies within the ecosystem connect and partner to optimize content creation and global distribution of digital assets
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Sept. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the Equinix Media Cloud Ecosystem for Entertainment (EMCEE™), an ecosystem of interconnected media and content providers, along with content delivery networks (CDNs) and cloud service providers that optimizes content creation, global distribution and services across the entire media and entertainment (M&E) industry. Today, more than 500 content and media companies such as Content Bridge, Movile, and Selevision use EMCEE to peer with the industry's largest concentration of CDNs, multiple system operators (MSOs) and social media platforms, enabling faster content development and distribution, as well as significant cost savings.
Digital disruption is affecting the M&E industry at an ever-accelerating pace – changing the way that content is created, enhanced, transported, stored and distributed. To embrace this disruption, M&E companies need to transform their infrastructure, from fixed and siloed to integrated and dynamic with interconnection at the forefront of their IT decision making. Global businesses, including media and entertainment companies, are increasingly leveraging colocation data centers to distribute their digital infrastructure across multiple geographies, and closer to the edge, to solve these challenges while also optimizing their IT for cloud-based offerings.
Components of the EMCEE ecosystem that enable this transformation include Equinix interconnection offerings across Platform Equinix™, network density, access to multiple clouds utilizing the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ and access to billions of consumers leveraging CDNs in Equinix International Business Exchange (IBX) data centers. In tests conducted in Equinix's global Solution Validation Centers™, video streaming applications that flowed through Equinix experienced 47 percent lower network latency. The test results also show that Equinix customers save, on average, more than 25 percent on network bandwidth costs by aggregating Internet traffic delivery to improve performance and scalability.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Today's consumers expect reliable, on-demand access to bandwidth-heavy digital content such as video, apps and online games. To meet consumer expectation, digital media and entertainment companies need an interconnected neutral ecosystem of content companies, advertising networks and content delivery services, accessible via secure, direct connections.
- As media becomes commoditized in the digital era, new business models are increasingly focused on innovation and efficiency across the production cycle – and value creation at the point of engagement, where end-users expect high quality service on every device, all the time, everywhere. To capture the opportunity, businesses are streamlining production workflows, reducing time and cost, and expanding distribution capabilities to tap into billions of smart TVs and devices around the globe.
- Built on Interconnection Oriented Architecture™ (IOA™), EMCEE efficiently improves network and application performance, security and end-user satisfaction. IOA directly and securely interconnects clouds, networks, business ecosystems and data at the edge, providing virtual control and transparency across the world's most globally interconnected data centers, within the largest cloud and network provider-neutral marketplaces.
- Equinix global interconnection platform also provides media and entertainment companies with industry leading solutions including Equinix Cloud Exchange which provides direct access major cloud service providers including AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure and Office 365 and IBM Softlayer in 21 markets globally, and Equinix Performance Hub™ and Equinix Data Hub™ which help develop faster, more efficient content creation workflows.
- Equinix will be presenting EMCEE at the IBC 2016 Conference and Exhibition in Amsterdam from September 9-13 at booth B25, Hall 3.
- Jason Peterson, CEO, ContentBridge:
"Ultimately, the relationship with Equinix will allow ContentBridge to bring advanced digital supply chain solutions directly to the content, wherever the content owner chooses to maintain the digital library."
- Ammar Hares, COO, Selevision:
"Colocating within Equinix creates the platform for us to grow our business worldwide which means we're faster to market with content and it reduces our costs."
- Mark Harrison, managing director, Digital Production Partnership:
"More and more sectors are under pressure to offer real-time, or near-real-time services, and the media sector is no different. Speed, efficiency, flexibility and security are fast becoming essential for media businesses, and interconnected cloud services can offer all of these. The DPP believes services such as these will revolutionize the media industry in the next few years."
- Tony Bishop, vice president, Equinix:
"Disruption is creating opportunity and risk in the media and entertainment industry. Businesses are realizing they need increased performance, agility and efficiency in their digital supply chain if they are to drive innovation. EMCEE enables a new global standard for production and distribution where these opportunities can be fully realized."
- Connecting the New Digital Media Ecosystem [info paper]
- IOA for EMCEE [white paper]
- ContentBridge Customer Success Story
- Selevision Customer Success Story
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.
ix.com OR Equinix Investor Relations Contacts, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, firstname.lastname@example.org OR Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, email@example.com