July 5, 2016
Equinix Solidifies EMEA Data Center Portfolio
Completes Telecity asset divestment and agrees on acquisition of facilities in Paris
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and LONDON, July 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it has closed the transaction for the sale of eight European data center assets to Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: DLR) for approximately $874 million. The sale of these data center assets was required by the European Commission as part of its approval of Equinix's purchase of TelecityGroup plc, which closed in January 2016.
Additionally, Equinix and Digital Realty entered into an agreement for the purchase by Equinix for EUR €189,750,000 (approximately USD $211 million) of Digital Realty's operating business in St. Denis, Paris, including its real estate and data center facility, which currently houses Equinix's PA2 and PA3 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers. The Paris acquisition is subject to certain customary formalities, and is expected to close in Q3 of 2016.
RBC Capital Markets served as Equinix's financial advisor, and Slaughter and May acted as Equinix's lead external legal advisors in connection with these transactions.
Highlights / Key Facts
- In January 2016, Equinix completed the acquisition of TelecityGroup plc in a transaction valued at approximately $3.8 billion (£2.6 billion). The addition of TelecityGroup's 34+ data centers, net of the divestment, more than doubled Equinix's capacity in Europe, fortifying its position as the largest retail colocation provider in the region and in the world.
- The divesture of eight European assets to Digital Realty Trust to meet the European Commission's requirements in the purchase of TelecityGroup include the following facilities: TelecityGroup's Bonnington House, Sovereign House, Meridian Gate and Oliver's Yard data centers and Equinix's West Drayton data center in London; TelecityGroup's Science Park and Amstel Business Park I in Amsterdam; and TelecityGroup's Lyonerstrasse data center in Frankfurt.
- As the result of the Telecity acquisition Equinix added seven new markets in Europe to its portfolio including Dublin, Helsinki, Istanbul, Manchester, Sofia, Stockholm, and Warsaw. Equinix now operates 145 IBX data center facilities in 40 markets, providing customers even more ways to connect with other businesses around the world on Platform Equinix™.
- Steve Smith, president and CEO, Equinix:
"Equinix's acquisition of TelecityGroup added critical network and cloud density to better serve our global customers. Completing this last milestone in the acquisition process paves the way for us to focus fully on helping our enterprise customers leverage our highly interconnected, global data centers for accelerated business performance and innovation. Additionally, the purchase of the Paris facilities is an important step in managing our real estate portfolio and ensuring we have the ability to add more capacity in this key market in the future."
- Equinix Agrees to Divest Eight European Assets to Digital Realty Trust, Inc. [press release]
- European Commission Grants Clearance for Equinix Offer to Acquire Telecity [press release]
- Equinix Expands Data Center Leadership Position with Close of Telecity Acquisition [press release]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements which are based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements, including statements related to the acquisition of Telecity and the expected benefits from the acquisition, statements related to the divesture of certain Equinix and Telecity assets to Digital Realty and statements related to the purchase of land and business assets from Digital Realty in Paris. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, a failure to fulfill the closing conditions to the agreement with Digital Realty to purchase land and business assets from Digital Realty in Paris; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix, including Telecity; the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts, Michelle Lindeman (Americas), +1 (650) 598-6361, firstname.lastname@example.org; Liam Rose (EMEA), +44 (0) 207 618 9602, email@example.com; Angelika Tam (Asia-Pacific), +852 2970 7761, firstname.lastname@example.org; Equinix Investor Relations Contacts, Katrina Rymill, +1 (650) 598-6583, email@example.com; Paul Thomas, +1 (650) 598-6442, firstname.lastname@example.org; Slaughter and May Contacts (External Legal Advisor to Equinix), Richard Smith, +44 (0)20 7090 3386, Richard.Smith@SlaughterandMay.com; Philippe Chappatte, +44 (0)20 7090 4424, Philippe.Chappatte@SlaughterandMay.com; RBC Capital Markets Contacts (Financial Advisor to Equinix), Madonna Park, +1 (212) 428-6272, email@example.com; Hans Lehmann, +44 (0) 20 7429 8619, firstname.lastname@example.org