June 6, 2013
Aquis Exchange Selects Equinix London Data Center
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and LONDON – June 6, 2013 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that Aquis Exchange Ltd, the proposed pan European stock exchange*, plans to establish its primary data center at the Equinix LD4 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center, inside the Equinix London Slough campus. Aquis Exchange, which will launch pending approval by the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), aims to revolutionize the European trading landscape and increase competition by introducing tiered subscription-based pricing and innovative order types.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The Equinix London Slough campus was selected by Aquis Exchange because of its unrivalled access to over 30 European markets, 80 exchanges and trading platforms. In addition, Aquis Exchange will have access to the Equinix Marketplace, which allows Equinix customers to identify potential customers and partners from over 4,000 ecosystem participants offering a range of services inside Equinix data centers.
- The Equinix London Slough campus already houses equity platforms, as well as numerous FX platforms, dark pools, commodities, and new derivative products. Market participants may directly connect to the Aquis Exchange platform inside the Equinix London Slough campus via a local cross connection.
- Cross connects go live within 48 hours of ordering, speeding time-to-market and lowering barriers to entry while providing high levels of resilience and low latency for the new members of Aquis Exchange. In addition, Aquis Exchange will be in close proximity to the trading community housed inside Equinix, which allows Aquis Exchange and its members to connect directly to other market participants inside the Equinix financial ecosystem.
- Today, 25 per cent of total European equities trade count originates from the Equinix London Slough campus. Globally, over 60 per cent of volume-driving market makers are Equinix customers and over 25 percent of these are currently based in the Equinix London Slough campus.
- Alasdair Haynes, CEO, Aquis Exchange Ltd.:
"We chose Equinix because we believe LD4 is the best connected financial hub in the UK. Equinix also has a great reputation for quality service and offered us a good value proposition. We are excited to be working with Equinix."
- John Knuff, general manager, Equinix Global Financial Services:
"We're delighted to welcome Aquis Exchange to the London Slough ecosystem. Equinix is uniquely positioned to support rapid liquidity growth and maximize opportunities for trading participants across crowded financial markets. Nimble exchanges, such as Aquis, are reacting to the demands of the trading community by driving down access and infrastructure costs when they deploy inside strategic hubs where a rich community of market participants already exists."
About Aquis Exchange
*Aquis Exchange, which has applied for regulatory approval as a multilateral trading facility from the UK FCA, was established in October 2012 and has been created to operate a pan-European equities trading exchange and develop exchange software. Aquis Exchange is set to revolutionize the European trading landscape by its introduction of subscription pricing and innovative order types.
Aquis Exchange's subscription pricing works on a similar model to that of the telecoms industry and is designed to encourage participation from all categories of professional trading firm. Users will be charged according to the message traffic they generate, rather than a percentage of the value of each stock that they trade. There will be different pricing bands to accommodate varying degrees of usage. There will be a very low usage band for small firms, that are traditionally disadvantaged by the pricing structure of the incumbent exchanges and, at the other end of the pricing structure, will be the top category where usage is unlimited (subject to a fair usage policy). Currently, over 90% of European equity trading in each individual country takes place on two exchanges. The aim of Aquis Exchange is to bring fresh competition into the marketplace in order to lower the trading costs maintained by the existing duopoly. The Company is led by former Chi-X Europe chief executive Alasdair Haynes.
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc. International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.